The name Horse Shoe Bend is derived from the actual shape of the lake, and dates back to 1794.
Four miles below Great Falls in Horse Shoe Bend is where Webb School Camp was located in the 1920's. The camp started as a "summer school" at or near the site of Hi-Lake Camp. The camp was organized and run by Profs. W.R. Webb and G.W. Follin of the famous Webb School located in Bell Buckle, TN.
Over the first ten years, the camp gradually changed from a summer school to a recreational camp. At the end of that period the camp was moved around 1918to the well known site of Old Bailiff Ferry.
The camp was closed in 1939.